Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Learning Curve

I need help moms!

Mason is 4.5 months old, well close enough, but I am starting to teach him how to be comfortable in his crib so that at 6 months I can hopefully wean him from my bed to his own bed at night. I have been trying to put Mace in his crib for 1 nap a day for the past few weeks, but I haven't been consistent with it. Problem number 1. But there are times that he just wakes up only after 1 hour and screams his scared to death scream. How do I make him less scared? Also how do I put him to nap without having to nurse him to sleep first. That is a bad habit to get into, I know, but I don't know how to knock him out. Today was the first time I didn't have to nurse him to sleep first but he fell asleep in his car seat while I was talking to a friend outside helping me with the Christmas lights. I just transfered him from the car seat and put him in the crib, he did one wail then was out. I have know moms just put their babies in the crib and the baby will fall asleep within a few minutes sometimes with crying sometimes with out. How do I do that??? For night, when he hits 5 months old I was going to have him sleep in his pack and play at night, which is still in my room, to get used to not sleeping with me next to him. I am slowing teaching him or should I just do things like a band-aid and just do it in one fell swoop?


Please moms any help you can give would be great. I really am trying to slowly get him used to his crib because daddy said "NO BABIES IN BED!" And I don't feel comfortable with him in my bed once he start crawling, because I don't want him to crawl right out. THANKS!!!

3 comments:

Bunch'a'Butt-lers said...

START NOW, put him in his crib ONLY. They learn fast, he is getting older, and more comfortable in your bed. You can do it!! I usually had to walk away far enough for 5-10 minutes so the screaming didn't give me anxiety (if they were Crying it out) But I would come back to a quiet sleeping baby. Baby monitors are fabulous too :)especially if you can get one with the camera, so you can see him without having to go in his room.

gramyflys said...

Ya just gotta DO it Becky! Joey's wife Cali is so good at making her baby's "responsible for their own sleep." She read some book..I will ask her what it is if you want. All of her kids are SO good at going to bed...always have been since she read this book with her first baby. Let me know if you are interested and I will ask her about it.

Jean said...

Becky, since you have had him in your bed so long... he is used to hearing your heart beat near-by... maybe a recording of it... just a thought.
Keep up the good work... hard as it is, it's well worth it for both of you to get a good nights sleep!
Also, try to nurse him wayyy b/4 nap time.... even try to keep him awake so that when you put him to bed (nap time) he gets the idea that the crib is for sleeping. If he see's it as a comfortable spot, and that he is supposed to sleep there. He will. It may take time...
Music in his room etc... will help too.