Saturday, June 7, 2008

Chattin' With German Folk!

So my in-laws are in town, and this week I have been playing "tourist" in my part of the country. It has been a lot of history lessons and as most of you know I am so horrible at history that it has been very difficult for me to stay interested in all this stuff. I went back to Monticello and went to Monroe's house. I also went to Jamestown on Thursday and learned a lot there and then to VA beach on Thursday night, Matt did have Thurs. and Fri. off to spend the day with us and we had fun walking on the beach and enjoying the time out there. Friday we went to York town and we had a ton of fun there too. They have people that are dressed up and they explain how life used to be and actually demonstrate how to cook and plant things. Today we went to the Luray Caverns and I overheard some people talking, and they weren't speaking English. So I started to listen in and figured out that they were speaking German. For those of you who don't know I am semi-knowledgeable in the Germanic Language. We said hi and started talking. One of them grew up in the Czech Republic until he was 15 then his family moved to Germany. So he knows how to speak Russian and German. But he didn't know any English or only a little English. He had fun speaking with me and he was helping me remember my German. I was really racking my brain on remember German. It has been about 3 years since my classes. The other 2 were fluent in English so if I couldn't remember a word in German than they would help out. It was very fun. I was having so much fun on talking with them, and I was trying to help explain what the tour guide was saying cause they had a difficult time understanding him. There names were Thomas, Alexandra, and Merrick. I did get Alex's email address to get a recipe and to try to keep talking to her. Anyhew Matt is going to help me keep getting better at German and now we are talking about going to Germany. We'll see what might happen in the future.

1 comments:

Elizabeth said...

How FUN!!! I love it when I run into Deutschlaenders (sp???)!!! Let me know when you go, if you go, maybe I can tag along...