Saturday, April 12, 2008

Day 5- Hershey and the Amish


We stayed the night in PA so that we could just go straight to the town of Hershey and get some free chocolate. Funny story though. My parents, Matt and I stayed in a family suite and Matt and I were in the hide-a-bed. My parents were in their room and I finally finished getting ready for bed. I went to sit at the top of the bed to sit up and right when I sat down the bed went up. The foot of the bed just rose up and practically pinned me and Matt in. The first thing I did was call for dad to help us but he never came to the rescue, and once I did that Matt shot a look at me in disgust and said, " I can get us out." Well he did it was just so funny the whole thing that happened. After being cramped in a car all day long I get cramped in a hide-a-bed. Anyhew, back to the day.

The little town of Hershey, how quaint it is with its street names as Chocolate Ave. Cocoa Ave and many more. Also little subdivisions like Cocoa Towns. They also have Hershey kisses as the street lamps. Some are wrapped and some are just the chocolate. We went to Hershey World and had a tour of how they make chocolate, and I did get some pix of that. It was a very fun experience. We had some pretty good Sundaes, our was vanilla and chocolate ice cream with chocolate fudge, Carmel topping, with Kit Kats, Reese's Pieces, and Macadamia Nuts on it and whipped cream. We couldn't finish it all the way but it was very good.




Next we drove to a very cute town called, Intercourse, PA. I promise it is named that and only because many major roads cross in the town, and not for the other reason. It is an Amish town with some amazing stores in it, and a very fine restaurant. Matt found a kettle corn stand with fresh kettle corn and got 4 bags worth. That is his favorite snack food. They have an amazing fudge shop and actually explain how they make it by spreading the fudge around on these huge marble tables. They have a relish and jam canning store which you can taste things before you buy them. I was in heaven there. Everything was so good. There is this Raspberry salsa that is incredible. They even had Amish people working there canning as you buy. There is also this craft store that had a ton of hand crafted stuff and I wanted so many things but I only got a couple of things. We then went to a very nice restaurant called the Kling House. They use the canned food from the other store on almost every thing and it was amazing. My strawberry lemonade was the best I have ever had. They just used lemonade and put some of their strawberry preserves at the bottom and it was amazing. I got a chicken salad sandwich with raspberry preserve on top and, boy howdy was it tasty. (I have been on a strict eating habit for the past 4 weeks, and this week alone has sabotaged everything that I had done, because I have had some amazing food.) Anyways, I had more fun in this little town of Intercourse than I did at Hersey. I have really enjoyed my time with my parents and they are leaving in a day and a half. I have been cramped in a car though but it still has been very fun.


2 comments:

The Fifes said...

So cool!! What a fun trip you were able to take! Thank you for sharing your chocolate from Hershey :) Great to meet your parents too.

Elizabeth said...

:) I am laughing SO hard at that hide-a-bed story! And I am trying to imagine Matt's reaction when he discovered that ya'll were going to Intercourse, PA. When I come visit you, we SO need to go to Hershey!!!